Defining a message trace search is a three-step process. This topic describes the steps required to create a new message trace search. You may have to refer to the links provided in some steps if you need more information. To define a message trace search, you must:
- Specify the message trace search name and optionally, a description.
- Select the users and groups to search.
- Set the search criteria for the users and groups to search.
To define a message trace search, complete the steps in the following procedure.
- On the Message Trace page in the Compliance module, on the Action bar, click Add New. The Define a new Message Trace dialog is displayed.
- In the Name & Description section:
- In the Message Trace Name field, enter up to 60 characters for the name of the search.
- Optionally, in Message Trace Description field, enter up to 250 characters for the description of the search displayed on the Message Trace page, and then click Next.
- In the Select User Accounts section, you can limit the search to specific users or groups. You can:
- Select Any User Account to add any user to the message trace, and then click Next.
- or -
- Select Select Users / Groups, and then on the Users tab or User Groups tab, select specific users, specific groups of users, or user groups, and then click Next. For more information, see Selecting Users.
- In the Set Search Criteria section, on the Messages tab, specify which messages should be traced by selecting Include messages from / to people to trace messages sent to or from users. Select one of the following:
- Standard settings - Messages from all users sent or received are traced.
- Advanced settings - Select messages for specific Senders and/or Recipients are traced. Click the Add icon to open the Select who is sending/receiving the message dialog. Select the users that you want to trace messages for, and then click Done. For more information, see Selecting Users.
- In the Set Search Criteria section, on the Additional Criteria tab, you can filter the messages traced specified on the Messages tab based on the following criteria:
- Attachments (for example, Images, Videos, Files) - Select to include or exclude messages and/or posts with or without attachments. Otherwise, all messages and posts with attachments are traced.
- Message control policies - Select to include or exclude messages with or without message control policies. Otherwise, all messages and posts with message control policies are traced.
- Date Range - Select to include messages only during specified date range. Otherwise, all messages and posts for any date are traced.
- Keywords - Select to include only messages or posts that contain any of the specified keywords. Otherwise, all messages and posts are traced.
- Click Save Message Trace.
The message trace search is saved and available to run.